Friday, July 24, 2009

Some Background

When someone speaks out on an issue of the day it is sometimes helpful to know a bit of their background as it can provide the context in which their statements are made.

Where are they from, what type of education, religious exposure, travels, work experience and personal accomplishments? These all enter into the equation that produces a person’s viewpoint and outlook on life and the world.

A person born and raised in a small town in an Islamic country with little or no education will likely produce a biased view of the United States Constitution.

So, to assist in your understanding of “where I am coming from” I offer the following abbreviated autobiography.

Born in Ohio, raised in Tucson, Arizona, and attended Tanque Verde Elementary School, Roskruge Junior High School, both in Tucson, New Mexico Military Institute in Roswell, New Mexico for High School, and then attended Columbia College, New York, New York for two years and the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona for two years. No degrees.

I worked in the land title business for a number of years before starting a data processing company with a friend. Sold my interest in that company after a few years and began working as a free-lance computer programmer. Most recently I worked as a Software Engineer for a company that provided software to the Public Health industry.

I have traveled extensively in the United States missing only 6 states so far. I have lived and worked in the following cities, listed alphabetically. Atlanta, GA, Bismarck, ND, Columbus, OH, Dallas, TX, New Orleans, LA, Phoenix, AZ, Seattle, WA, and Tucson, AZ.

Outside the United States I have visited Brazil, Canada, Columbia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru and Venezuela and I worked on a Public Health project in Hong Kong for 4 weeks.

I have been privileged to be a recipient of a J.C. Penney Golden Rule Award, received a commendation from the Centers for Disease Control for my work on the National Smallpox Vaccination Program and was the Tucson Daily Citizen’s “Citizen of the Year” for 2000.

I am divorced, have a son, 2 grandsons and 2 great-grandaughters and 1 great- grandson.

I am an “animal person”, a licensed pilot, hiker, avid reader, philosophically a student of Objectivism, and politically, a Libertarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment